To my dear readers,
I hope you guys are all doing well! We’re at 280! I think I’m on track to finishing at 300 but we’ll have to see. I’m spending A LOT of time editing the raws. It is definitely a lot of work. I’m very tired, but I really want the novel to do well.
Sigh. When you are managing your own site, there’s so much to do. Let me give you a list of things that I have to do:
- Try to not get banned (going through old comments and editing out swear words from readers), making sure I’m not writing anything too sexual *PLEASE DO NOT USE THE F WORD*
- Market myself (try to gain more readers either by promoting shamelessly on social media or telling other people about it)
- Translate the novel (Go through the Chinese version a few times, edit out garbage, translate it, tries to make it sound like English instead of Chinese English)
- Answer comments (ok, I rarely do this nowadays because I’m too lazy and busy. But I used to reply to every single reader)
- Think of how to stay alive and not become extinct (due to the number of web novels available, many readers are now stockpiling instead of reading chapter by chapter). You really have to stand out if you want to survive in this market
- Think of how to fight aggregator sites (I have lost millions and millions of views from all these sites that steal from me)
- Figure out how to get donations/pledges/people to financially support me (it’s really hard to gain a supportive fanbase that’s willing to pay. Since reading the novel is free, there is no need for anyone to donate or support me at all. They must want to do it from the bottom of their hearts. Not only that, they have to have the ability to support me as well) I am grateful for all of my supporters!!
- Translate so well that people will be willing to read my other translations as well. If you guys are new, I’m also the translator of “Your Highness, I know my wrongs” as well as “Supernatural Girlfriend”. They’re both completed on volarenovels.com If a reader reads both novels from the beginning to the end, I will make almost $0.14 per reader. (Yeah, you think novel translators make a lot? Think again)
- Get more popular. If you’re not growing, you’re shrinking!!! Ahhhh. How can I get more readers? Sigh.
Okay that’s it. But it’s definitely much harder than working for someone else. If someone is paying you for your work, you have the stability and comfort. But when you’re doing it yourself, there’s no one to support you if you fail. So what if you invested hundreds of hours into something? If people don’t wanna read it, too bad for you. If people don’t want to support you, too bad.
Starting your own site/business/start up/whatever is tough. There is a lot more risk and there’s no guarantee that you will ever become “known”. You might have the best product or whatever it is, but if no one discovers you, you’re still screwed.
Anyhow, I read all the comments and I just want you guys to know that I’m thankful you’re reading my work. Hopefully this will be stolen by the bots. Sadly, a lot of the sites are too smart and they always get rid of my announcement post. Ughhhhhh.